Website University of Scranton
University of Scranton
The University of Scranton embraces diversity and inclusion through its mission, Jesuit identity, strategic plans, community outreach programs, and numerous diversity programs. The University of Scranton is an Equal Opportunity employer and actively solicits applications from historically underrepresented candidates. Please see our full non-discrimination statement below.
The University is committed to providing an educational, residential, and working environment that is free from harassment and discrimination. Members of the University community, applicants for employment or admissions, guests and visitors have the right to be free from harassment or discrimination based on race, color, religion, ancestry, gender, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, genetic information, national origin, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.
Sexual harassment, including sexual violence, is a form of sex discrimination prohibited by Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972. The University does not discriminate on the basis of sex in its educational, extracurricular, athletic, or other programs or in the context of employment.
Anyone who has questions about the University’s Sexual Harassment and Sexual Misconduct Policy, or the University’s Non-Discrimination or Anti-Harassment Policy, or wishes to report a possible violation of one of the policy should contact:
Elizabeth M. Garcia
Title IX Coordinator
The Office of Equity and Diversity
Institute of Molecular Biology & Medicine, Rm 311
The University is a Catholic and Jesuit University animated by the spiritual vision and the tradition of excellence characteristic of the Society of Jesus and those who share in its way of proceeding. All candidates must indicate how they would help communicate and support the Catholic and Jesuit identity and mission of the University. The University’s mission statement and a description of the history and concepts of the Ignatian teaching philosophy may be found at https://www.scranton.edu/about/jesuit-tradition/index.shtml.
Responsibilities of the position include the maintenance of University landscaping and grounds, minor repair to grounds equipment, operation of snow removal equipment, lawn care equipment, and other grounds keeping tasks to maintain a safe and attractive environment. Grounds personnel are essential employees and must be available for early morning and/or late night hours when snow or ice is forecast and for other duties as required to meet the goals and mission of the University.
– Examines and polices the University grounds on a routine basis, removes chewing gum from walkways, removes or covers graffiti on walls and other facilities and picks up litter and trash
– Mows and trims grass with power mowers and other power tools, uses tractors and riding lawnmowers to care for large lawn areas
– Maintains parking lots using brooms and sweepers. Installs bumper blocks to identify parking spaces. Cleans and treats oil and grease spots to remove residue.
– Weeds flower beds, shrubs and trees as directed and plants flowers, shrubs and trees and other landscaping material, installs geo-textile fabric and mulch in planting beds and performs hand excavation for planting of trees and shrubs
– Responsible for the grooming and maintenance of the athletic fields
– Installs decorations around campus to celebrate various holidays
– Installs banners and flags on university light poles and fences
– Operates various grounds equipment including, skid steer loader, snow plows and blowers, power sweepers, tractors, utility vehicles, dump trucks, bucket lift trucks and forklifts, rental equipment, other operational lifts, and truck mounted leaf vacuum as well as towing equipment on trailers attached to trucks to various campus sites
– Removes dead branches, prunes and maintains trees using pruners and chain saws; Inspects trees for damage from pests and disease.
– Removes snow and ice from University properties using various grounds equipment, including chemical ice melters
– Rakes leaves and grass on all University properties
– Disassembles and moves furniture and sets-up offices and other academic spaces as directed, re-assembles furnishings at new office locations and assembles various types of site furnishings including benches and tables
– Maintains streets in the immediate vicinity of the campus, patches pot-holes, cleans streets for special campus events, keeps catch basins free of debris and periodically cleans debris from roadways after accidents
– Provides support and manpower for events in various facilities to other University and Physical Plant departments as directed
– Removes dead animals and vermin from all University properties
– Picks up recycling materials from various University facilities and delivers them to the local recycling facility
– Power washes buildings using pressure washers and washes exterior sides of windows in facilities less than 3 stories in height
– Custodial work including all university sports facilities including locker rooms, restrooms, dugouts and press boxes
– Removes avian waste from facilities
– Provides assistance to the University Retreat Center at Chapman’s Lake (i.e. grass cutting, trimming of trees, snow removal, etc.)
Additional Skills Required:
– Possess a valid PA driver’s license
– Ability to work within the overall organization of the Physical Plant and work with skilled and unskilled personnel
– Must possess good oral and written communication skills, follow oral and written instructions and be able to express ideas effectively and concisely
– Must be willing to seek training to enhance or learn new skills
— Must be accessible and available in the event of emergencies, for snow removal, special events or when needed to meet the ongoing missions of the University
– Must maintain certification to operate large dump trucks by passing vision screening and a physical exam
– Must enroll in the University of Scranton Hearing Protection Program and undergo annual testing and certification
– Must wear and provide own safety shoes for use on the job
– Must wear University supplied work apparel while on duty
– Must successfully complete University provided training for avian waste removal and maintain any required certification
– Must be able to support the University’s commitment to fostering a diverse, equitable, and inclusive culture
– Must be able to respect, support and contribute to the University’s Catholic and Jesuit mission
Minimum Education Requirements:
High School diploma or equivalent
Minimum Job Experience Requirements:
No experience necessary
Shift determined based on availability
Full Time/Part Time:
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Hourly Rate is $14.52 per hour.We also offer an excellent benefits package!Benefits include:
Comprehensive health, dental and vision coverage
Tuition remission for yourself and qualified dependents
Generous University contribution for The University retirement savings plan
Voluntary retirement saving plan
Other benefits include:
Disability and Life Insurance coverage
Flexible Spending Accounts
Employee Assistance Program
Voluntary insurance options (including life and critical illness)
Paid time away from work
Mission and community service leave
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/4955588
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
To apply for this job please visit apptrkr.com.