Website University of San Francisco
University of San Francisco
USF Hilltop Campus
A Dispatcher follows a leadership model that practices values based and community policing principles when responding to the needs of the community. In following this model, a Dispatcher practices leadership that is collaborative, creative, adaptive, based on influence, is multi-directional, and non-coercive. A Dispatcher provides services with the understanding that leaders, followers, and participants develop a common purpose to achieve mutual goals.
A Dispatcher is responsible for maintaining effective and efficient communications between the campus law enforcement headquarters, campus patrol officers in the field, outside emergency and law enforcement agencies and the public by receiving, recording, and dispatching general and emergency information quickly, clearly and accurately. A dispatcher is required to work independently, react quickly, and demonstrate good judgment and discretion in stressful situations. The Communications Center is operated 24 hours a day and a dispatcher may be required to work various shifts any day of the week including holidays.
As part of the larger staff in Student Life, Public Safety employees collaborate and cooperate across divisions and departments to create a supportive University community which encourages student learning and development in the Jesuit Catholic tradition. The mission of Student Life is to fully support holistic student development within a social justice framework centered in preparing students to be caring, socially responsible citizens in our global and local community.
Full Job Description:
Examples of essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Receives emergency and non-emergency calls and efficiently gathers, evaluates, prioritizes, and documents information from callers.
• Dispatches Officer and CSO field units to specific locations using a two-way radio while documenting all actions in the computer-aided dispatch system.
• Evaluates incoming reports of police, fire, and medical emergencies; immediately transmits complete and accurate information to appropriate field personnel and coordinates with SF DEM for Fire/EMS response.
• Receives requests for emergency and non-emergency services and liaisons with other USF departments as needed.
• Monitors, coordinates, and accurately maintains the status of incidents and records of dispatched personnel.
• Maintains familiarity with area geography including major streets and campus buildings.
• Maintains understanding of current public safety policies and procedures for the USF Department of Public Safety.
• Responds to routine and non-routine inquiries regarding public safety; properly classifies and prioritizes any report or complaint and determines appropriate course of action; provides appropriate referrals as necessary.
• Demonstrate professionalism, courtesy, empathy, and excellent customer service.
• Works various 8-hour or 12-hour shifts, or longer, including day shift, swing shift, night shift, weekends, holidays, and overtime.
• Perform other related duties as assigned.
• High School Diploma required, college degree preferred.
• English language, spelling, grammar and punctuation.
• Customer service and interpersonal communications principles.
• Computer operation and use in office and Communications Center environments.
• Basic principles in communicating by means of telephone and/or face to face contact.
• Communicate clearly and concisely, in English, both orally and in writing.
• Comprehend, interpret, relay and document information via telephone, computer software or other related technology.
• Screen and interpret general data and filter relevant information.
• Effectively communicate with and elicit information from upset and irate community members.
• Learn and operate Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) Systems and other related technology.
• Work under pressure, exercising good judgment and common sense while making sound decisions in emergency situations.
• Perform multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Listen, understand and relay information via telephone and in person.
• Remain calm and controlled under stressful periods while projecting a professional demeanor.
• Exercise independent judgment and work with a minimum of supervision.
• Establish and maintain positive and courteous working relationships with customers, the community and co-workers.
• Work with the Communications Center team while maintaining assigned job responsibilities and duties.
• Anticipate and adapt to fluctuating workloads in the Communications Center.
• Communicate and receive constructive feedback and opinions to affect change.
• Access and refer to information using available resources.
• Read, interpret, understand and follow written and oral instructions and/or information.
Other requirements of the position:
• Possess good moral character and psychological suitability as determined by a thorough lawful background check, obtaining and submitting a BSIS guard card which includes fingerprinting, and a psychological evaluation.
• Be willing to work day, swing, graveyard, rotating, holiday, and weekend shifts.
• Be willing to work 12 to 16 hours per day.
• Be willing to accept overtime assignments, including last minute spontaneous mandatory assignments.
• Successful completion of P.O.S.T. Dispatcher course should be completed within one year of appointment. (paid by USF)
• Apply Online
• Communications Center Sit Along / Patrol Ride Along
• Panel Interview
• Submit Personal History Statement (PHS)
• Obtain/Submit BSIS Guard Card
• Lawful Background Check (must be free of felonies and/or violent misdemeanors)
• Psychological Examination
Salary Range :
$30.26 per hour. Annualized; commensurate with experience.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/4983333.
The University of San Francisco is located in the heart of one of the world’s most innovative and diverse cities, and is home to a vibrant academic community of students and faculty who achieve excellence in their fields. Its diverse student body enjoys direct access to faculty, small classes and outstanding opportunities in the city itself. USF is San Francisco’s first university, and its Jesuit Catholic mission helps ignite a student’s passion for social justice and a desire to “Change the World From Here.” For more information, visit http://www.usfca.edu.
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
To apply for this job please visit apptrkr.com.