Website University of San Francisco
Assistant Chief Engineer
University of San Francisco
USF Hilltop Campus
Assistant Chief Engineer
The duty of the Assistant Chief Engineer is to assist the Chief Engineer in the Chief’s duties as required. The Assistant Chief is responsible for supporting the overarching goals and initiatives of the Chief to ensure safe, efficient, compliant, and effective management of the University’s physical plant, infrastructure, utility services, equipment, and operations to support the goals and mission of the University.
Full Job Description:
The Assistant Chief shall work with and at the direction of the Chief to:
• Instruct and supervise the University’s Local 39 Maintenance, Apprentice and Utility Engineers permanent and temporary work force (the Engineers) in the performance of their assigned duties, including the scheduling of work hours, monitoring of productivity, compliance of and scheduling of safety training, and work order completion aging.
• Provide technical advice and mentorship to subordinates in areas such as boilers, pressure vessels, mechanical, electrical, plumbing (systems), life safety (systems), automation, hydraulic systems, and other general knowledge to support their individual growth. Maintain self-improvement program and keep abreast of new equipment technology, automation, standards, codes, maintenance procedures, and emergency response regarding hazardous materials.
• Assist in the scheduling and supervising of the maintenance and operation of campus building systems and general building maintenance in accordance with industry standards and University specific requirements.
• Cross train to perform duties of Cogen Plant Engineers. Supervise, train and mentor Cogen Plant Engineers as needed and directed by Chief Engineer.
• In collaboration with Administrative Services, implement the expansion, and deployment of the preventive maintenance program via the CMMS (Computerized Maintenance Management System) work order management system. Assist the Asset Inventory Data Specialist with suggesting, implementing, maintaining, and updating equipment assets and related data, maintenance tasks and schedules in the CMMS records on preventive maintenance schedule.
• Maintaining records on Campus Utilities for regulatory compliance or for established University procedures put in place to monitor equipment operations, protect assets and ensure safe and efficient operations. Examples include Natural Gas usage, Boiler and Closed Loop water chemistry, pool chemistry, water usage and a multitude of Cogeneration Plant utilities.
• Procure and receive materials through University and department purchasing processes for the Engineers’ execution of work orders and to maintain spare parts for mechanical equipment, carpenter shop, paint shop, lock shop, and other general supplies to support departmental work.
• In cooperation with the front desk, perform work order entry and completion, document maintenance, notes, and be responsible for Engineers’ work order accuracy including location and work notes. Utilize report data to benchmark work order performance over time. Identify areas for improvement and recommend solutions to the Chief Engineer and Director of Operations.
• Provide administrative support for the Engineering staff of Facilities Management including but not limited to purchasing; purchasing card reconciliation and reporting; invoice reconciliation; competitive pricing; employee time-reporting and leave coordination and reporting; vehicle safety and maintenance; and employee accident reporting;
• Interface as needed with applicable governmental agencies, Jurisdictional Authority’s and vendors (with jurisdiction over the University facilities and operations); to maintain current boiler inspections and permits, backflow certification, elevator permits and high-rise fire safety inspections.
• Complete required Cogen Plant regulatory reporting for PG&E, DOE, CEC and BAAQMD.
• Recommend equipment purchases to replace obsolete equipment items and provide assistance to develop long range equipment retirement and replacement plans.
• Ensure compliance with safe practices and standards. Conduct regular safety meetings to promote safe work practices.
• Build morale and team approach.
• Develop goals for department, staff, and self. Set and maintain a professional work environment with staff.
• High School Degree is required. Associate degree in project management business, technical services or vocation program or equivalent is required. Bachelor’s degree in related field preferred.
• Strong employee relation skills, coaching skills, and training skills.
• A minimum of 5 years’ experience in a multi-building property similar in size and complexity of USF’s. Prefer 3 + years of progressive operations experience.
• An overall familiarity and diagnostic skills in the areas of boilers, pressure vessels, HVAC, refrigeration, emergency generators, fire alarm systems, fire pumps and other fire and life safety systems, building automation, lighting controls, locksmithing, high voltage electrical systems, plumbing, carpentry and equipment serving all other building systems.
• Able to read and interpret mechanical drawings, equipment installation and operations manuals.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills. Strong service-oriented mindset.
• Knowledge of, and experience with the location and function of building life safety systems including control panels, smoke/duct detectors, sprinkler systems, pull stations, strobe lights, horns, fire doors, etc.
• A working knowledge of building and lighting control systems and CMMS, and familiarity with central purchasing systems. Experience with systems and software including but not limited to, Niagara, Automated Logic Controls, Assetworks, AIM, PlanGrid, Box, Microsoft Excel and Word.
• Preferred certifications included: High-rise Fire Safety Director, Fire Pump Test Certification, EPA Universal Refrigeration Technician Certification, Certified Pool/Spa Operator (Haz-Mat, Indoor Air Quality, and LEED)
• Working knowledge of energy conservation required, formal training preferred
• Valid California driver’s license.
Salary Range :
$69.43/hour commensurate with experience
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/4990711.
The University of San Francisco is located in the heart of one of the world’s most innovative and diverse cities, and is home to a vibrant academic community of students and faculty who achieve excellence in their fields. Its diverse student body enjoys direct access to faculty, small classes and outstanding opportunities in the city itself. USF is San Francisco’s first university, and its Jesuit Catholic mission helps ignite a student’s passion for social justice and a desire to “Change the World From Here.” For more information, visit http://www.usfca.edu.
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
To apply for this job please visit apptrkr.com.