Website Le Moyne College
About Le Moyne College:
Le Moyne College, located in Syracuse, N.Y., is an independent college established by the Jesuits in 1946 to provide students with a values-based, comprehensive academic program designed to foster intellectual excellence and preparation for a life of leadership and service. Today, Le Moyne has evolved into a nationally acclaimed college of liberal arts and sciences that draws students from across the U.S. and abroad.
Le Moyne College is a diverse learning community that strives for academic excellence in the Catholic and Jesuit tradition through its comprehensive programs rooted in the liberal arts and sciences. Its emphasis is on education of the whole person and on the search for meaning and value as integral parts of the intellectual life. Le Moyne College seeks to prepare its members for leadership and service in their personal and professional lives to promote a more just society.
Le Moyne College aims to advance the values of diversity and inclusiveness at the college. To do this, Le Moyne seeks scholars and professionals who bring innovation, creativity, and impact to the campus, and who bring greater depth, breadth, and diversity to our campus community. Le Moyne College is an equal opportunity employer and encourages women, persons of color, and Jesuits to apply for employment.
Security Officers are tasked with the general responsibility of the safety and security of the Le Moyne College Campus and Le Moyne College Community. They are service driven and provide both general and emergency public safety/security services.
Job duties specific to this position:
- Conduct patrols of the campus, which can be walking, fixed post or by vehicle.
Provide security services to specific areas of campus as assigned.
- Develop and improve working relationships with students, faculty, and staff.
- Perform some traditional law enforcement duties typically assigned to security personnel.
- Respond promptly and professionally to requests for service from students, employees and visitors for emergencies and general security services on campus.
- Enforce Le Moyne College’s rules, regulations and policies.
- Ensure local, state and federal laws and ordinances are enforced to protect students, faculty/staff and visitors to the campus.
- Conduct thorough security checks of your assigned areas and report any security or safety issues which could lead to injury or safety concerns in order to ensure their integrity and the safety of their inhabitants and contents.
- As assigned – conduct investigations and inquiry into incidents involving violations of College policy, criminal offenses or suspicious circumstances. Submit comprehensive written reports on all such incidents.
- Promptly correct and/or report to the appropriate College office all observed safety, security, utility, environmental and fire hazards.
- Lock and unlock buildings and rooms as scheduled.
Provide unlocks and lock-ups as requested (i.e., student key ins, office key ins).
- Conduct monthly inspections of fire extinguishers located on campus.
- Stay well informed on all College activity.
- Promote crime prevention and fire safety.
- Maintain a professional appearance to include uniforms, vehicles and personal hygiene.
- Maintain a level of physical fitness necessary to perform the principle job functions.
- Perform all related security services or emergency/general duties as requested by the Director of Security or his designee.
- Maintain a lost and found property.
- Cover the dispatch desk and duties when assigned.
- Participate in all required and assigned trainings.
Work events as assigned.
- Test Blue light phones.
- Provide various forms of transports/escorts.
- Conduct fire drills
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Valid New York State driver’s license and a driving record which is aligned with the College’s motor vehicle policy.
- Meet and maintain the requirements and training to be licensed and registered as a security guard in New York State.
- Capable of working evenings, nights, weekends, holidays and in inclement weather.
- Must be able and willing to work overtime coverage when necessary or directed, including mandatory overtime and for extracurricular campus events.
Strong written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- The ability to interact in a sensitive, courteous and understanding way with members of a diverse residential and academic community and the general public.
- Ability to multi task and to maintain composure in emergency situations.
- Sufficient vision (with corrections) to read and to observe more distant objects.
Ability to hear sufficiently to respond to calls for service.
- Be able to pass a background investigation.
- Be reliable and able to work independently.
- Must exercise good judgment and display sensitivity to the unique role that security plays in a college setting.
- Able to perform the physical duties of the job including, but not limited to, climbing stairs, crouching, walking, standing, or sitting for extended periods.
- Law enforcement training or previous security experience preferred.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion job expectations for all Le Moyne College employees:
- Demonstrates commitment to promoting a more diverse, inclusive and equitable work environment by supporting the diversity, equity, and inclusion goals of the employee’s unit.
- Regularly participates in professional development opportunities to become more aware of DEI issues and to consider ways in which their work can be expanded to honor and incorporate the diversity of our community.
- Works to neutralize institutional bias by analyzing the policies and procedures of their unit and making suggestions to remove barriers for historically underserved people.
- Promotes open communication across Le Moyne’s community in order to create an inclusive environment, and understanding of others backgrounds, ideas, and perspectives.
Le Moyne Benefits
- 403(b) Retirement contribution- (9.5% Employer match)
- Generous tuition coverage
- Health insurance options- (Medical, Dental, Vision, Flexible Spending Accounts)
- Health Savings Accounts- (Partially Employer funded)
- Basic Life & AD&D Insurance- (Employer paid)
Short and Long Term Disability Insurance (Employer paid)
- Supplemental Life & AD&D Insurance
- Voluntary benefits- (Legal, Critical Illness, Hospital Indemnity, Accident Insurance, Pet Insurance etc.)
- 12 paid holidays
- Generous time off package
- 40 hour work week
Hourly Pay Range: $20.81/hr.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Le Moyne College is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, citizenship & immigration or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Le Moyne makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.
To apply for this position please go to https://lemoyne.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=171736 and click the ‘Apply Now’ button and submit the required materials for consideration:
* Cover letter outlining your interest in the position
* Current resume
* Contact information for 3 professional references