Website Le Moyne College
About Le Moyne College:
Le Moyne College, located in Syracuse, N.Y., is an independent college established by the Jesuits in 1946 to provide students with a values-based, comprehensive academic program designed to foster intellectual excellence and preparation for a life of leadership and service. Today, Le Moyne has evolved into a nationally acclaimed college of liberal arts and sciences that draws students from across the U.S. and abroad.
Le Moyne College is a diverse learning community that strives for academic excellence in the Catholic and Jesuit tradition through its comprehensive programs rooted in the liberal arts and sciences. Its emphasis is on education of the whole person and on the search for meaning and value as integral parts of the intellectual life. Le Moyne College seeks to prepare its members for leadership and service in their personal and professional lives to promote a more just society.
Le Moyne College aims to advance the values of diversity and inclusiveness at the college. To do this, Le Moyne seeks scholars and professionals who bring innovation, creativity, and impact to the campus, and who bring greater depth, breadth, and diversity to our campus community. Le Moyne College is an equal opportunity employer and encourages women, persons of color, and Jesuits to apply for employment.
Provides instruction, research assistance, and collection development for the social sciences and for the undergraduate and graduate business programs. Works with faculty in assigned departments to develop an integrated and comprehensive information literacy program. Supports the core curriculum through shared instruction. Promotes engagement with the library by coordinating outreach activities and events.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Provides instruction in library research skills for undergraduate and graduate students in assigned subject areas.
- Assesses instructional sessions on an ongoing basis.
- Serves as Personal Librarian to first year students in assigned subject areas.
- As part of the library instruction team, sets goals for the overall information literacy program and reviews instructional materials for courses where librarians share the teaching load (ex: COR 100, WRT 101, HST 110/111).
- Works closely with the Instructional Services Librarian to deliver instruction and assess learning in shared courses.
- Provides specialized reference services to faculty and students in assigned subject areas through a variety of formats such as in-person, virtual, chat, email, and research consultation appointments.
- As a generalist in all disciplines, provides research assistance to students, staff, faculty, and the wider community.
- As a subject bibliographer, builds an ongoing understanding of the assigned disciplines of study and their relevant library resources.
- Develops a working reference collection, research tools, LibGuides (web pages), and video tutorials that best fit the research needs of students and faculty in assigned subject areas.
- Assists faculty in assigned departments in their general understanding of all manner of research and publication.
- Prepare statistical reports and evaluations of library collections, services, instruction, and usage for academic departmental evaluations, accreditation reviews, and new program development in assigned subject areas.
OUTREACH AND COMMUNICATIONS
- Designs and leads library orientation sessions for first year students, transfer students, new faculty, and others as needed.
- Leads the library’s Outreach Committee in planning and executing library programs, exhibits, and special events with the goal of maximizing awareness and utilization of library resources and services.
- Promotes library programs and services using traditional, online, and social media platforms, as well as targeted outreach initiatives and activities.
- Coordinates the personal librarian program.
- Oversees the library’s social media presence.
- Collaborates with campus partners to grow the library’s presence on campus and within the surrounding community.
- Develops print and digital collections in assigned subject areas
- Reviews and evaluates collections for retention, withdrawal, replacement, or repair.
- In concert with the other librarians, defines the library’s general collection policies, goals, and priorities.
- Leads the library’s Outreach Committee.
Serves on the library instructional services team.
- Serves on library, faculty senate, and college committees and task forces as needed.
- Demonstrates and models the responsibilities and characteristics of an academic librarian in accordance with the Le Moyne College Handbook for Academic Librarians.
- Maintains awareness of emerging topics in pedagogy and information resources.
- Contributes to library and college wide initiatives by serving, as possible, on library, campus, and inter-institutional committees, such as ConnectNY or CLRC (Central NY Library Resources Council).
- Participates in Library strategic planning initiatives and cooperates closely with other library units.
- In conjunction with the other librarians, develops, evaluates, and reviews library policies and procedures and prepares assessment data and reports.
JOB EXPECTATIONS OF ALL LE MOYNE EMPLOYEES
- Demonstrates and role-models all of Le Moyne’s mission-based competencies (collaboration, communication, diversity, integrity, leadership and service) in every interaction with all community members and external parties.
- Strengthen digital literacy skills through education and the application of digital technologies in order to effectively engage in information gathering, utilization and data management while promoting a security culture.
- Supports cura personalis by treating all individuals with dignity, professionalism and kindness.
- Promotes cura apostolica by aligning professional goals, objectives, and performance with college’s strategic goals.
- Demonstrates excellent work attendance, reliability and work ethic.
- Attends and actively participates in required meetings and training sessions.
- Complies and adheres to all of Le Moyne’s established policies, procedures and codes of conduct at all times, including all health and safety requirements and regulations, to promote desired behavior and build awareness.
- Must complete all required federal, state, institution and department trainings.
- Engages in a planned program of professional development. Continually maintains skills and knowledge relative to the position and technology industry including best practice, evolving operational requirements, and industry trends.
- Performs a variety of related duties as assigned
- Master’s degree in Library Science or Library and Information Science from an ALA-accredited institution.
- Strong oral, written, and interpersonal communications skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of instructional technologies, trends, and pedagogies.
- Three or more years teaching experience as an academic librarian, strongly preferred.
- Experience with developing and coordinating library outreach initiatives, preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in social sciences or business, preferred.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion job expectations for all Le Moyne College employees:
- Demonstrates commitment to promoting a more diverse, inclusive and equitable work environment by supporting the diversity, equity, and inclusion goals of the employee’s unit.
- Regularly participates in professional development opportunities to become more aware of DEI issues and to consider ways in which their work can be expanded to honor and incorporate the diversity of our community.
- Works to neutralize institutional bias by analyzing the policies and procedures of their unit and making suggestions to remove barriers for historically underserved people.
- Promotes open communication across Le Moyne’s community in order to create an inclusive environment, and understanding of others backgrounds, ideas, and perspectives.
Le Moyne Benefits
- 403(b) Retirement contribution- (9.5% Employer match)
Generous tuition coverage
Health insurance options- (Medical, Dental, Vision, Flexible Spending Accounts)
Health Savings Accounts- (Partially Employer funded)
Basic Life & AD&D Insurance- (Employer paid)
Short and Long Term Disability Insurance (Employer paid)
Supplemental Life & AD&D Insurance
Voluntary benefits- (Legal, Critical Illness, Hospital Indemnity, Accident Insurance, Pet Insurance etc.)
12 paid holidays (In addition to paid time off the week between Christmas and New Years)
Generous time off package
35 hour work weeks
Salary Range: $50,000-58,000
Equal Employment Opportunity
Le Moyne College is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, citizenship & immigration or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Le Moyne makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.
To apply for this position please go to https://lemoyne.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=170072 and click the ‘Apply Now’ button and submit the required materials for consideration:
* Cover letter outlining your interest in the position
* Current resume
* Contact information for 3 professional references