Website Le Moyne College
About Le Moyne College:
Le Moyne College, located in Syracuse, N.Y., is an independent college established by the Jesuits in 1946 to provide students with a values-based, comprehensive academic program designed to foster intellectual excellence and preparation for a life of leadership and service. Today, Le Moyne has evolved into a nationally acclaimed college of liberal arts and sciences that draws students from across the U.S. and abroad.
Le Moyne College is a diverse learning community that strives for academic excellence in the Catholic and Jesuit tradition through its comprehensive programs rooted in the liberal arts and sciences. Its emphasis is on education of the whole person and on the search for meaning and value as integral parts of the intellectual life. Le Moyne College seeks to prepare its members for leadership and service in their personal and professional lives to promote a more just society.
Le Moyne College aims to advance the values of diversity and inclusiveness at the college. To do this, Le Moyne seeks scholars and professionals who bring innovation, creativity, and impact to the campus, and who bring greater depth, breadth, and diversity to our campus community.
The Grounds Person has the responsibility to maintain campus properties with landscaping, preventative maintenance and repairs.
Job duties specific to this position:
- Apply fertilizers, herbicides, and insecticides as needed and prescribed to campus properties.
- Landscape duties may include: preparing areas for landscaping, stripping off old sod, installing new sod, repairing damaged areas of sod, applying seed, removing and/or amending top soil, tilling flower beds, and making general improvements to athletic fields and other areas.
- Maintain campus properties by cutting grass at proper heights, watering, fertilizing, checking for disease and insect damage, trimming trees and shrubs and maintaining flower beds.
- Perform preventative maintenance and make repairs on mowing, spraying and other equipment. Teach procedures to summer work studies.
- Plan, organize, coordinate, schedule and assign work to work studies including mowing and maintaining campus properties. Inspect completed work.
- Pick up trash and litter.
Make, maintain and repair signs and posts.
- Operate a variety of standard power tools and heavy equipment used in grounds maintenance and snow removal.
- Keep all records for pesticides in compliance with DEC and EPA documentation.
- Perform duties outside classification incidental to the responsibilities of the Physical Plant Department or such duties assigned.
Job expectations for all Le Moyne College employees:
- Demonstrates and role-models all of Le Moyne’s mission-based competencies (collaboration, communication, diversity, integrity, leadership and service) in every interaction with all community members and external parties.
- Strengthen digital literacy skills through education and the application of digital technologies in order to effectively engage in information gathering, utilization and data management while promoting a security culture.
- Supports cura personalis by treating all individuals with dignity, professionalism and kindness.
- Promotes cura apostolica by aligning professional goals, objectives, and performance with college’s strategic goals.
- Demonstrates excellent work attendance, reliability and work ethic.
- Attends and actively participates in required meetings and training sessions.
- Complies and adheres to all of Le Moyne’s established policies, procedures and codes of conduct at all times, including all health and safety requirements and regulations, to promote desired behavior and build awareness.
- Must complete all required federal, state, institution and department trainings.
- Engages in a planned program of professional development. Continually maintains skills and knowledge relative to the position and technology industry including best practice, evolving operational requirements, and industry trends.
- Performs a variety of related duties as assigned.
- High School diploma or equivalent. Landscape certificate, A.S.S. of Horticulture, or related degree is preferred but not required.
- Minimum of A.A.S. degree in Landscape Design, Management, Planning, Horticulture, Forestry or 5 years relevant experience in grounds keeping activities, including the use of pesticides, or any equivalent combination of training of experience.
- Valid NYS Driver’s License
- Valid certified pesticide applications license, eligible for certification for license, or become certified within one year from start of employment.
- Knowledge of grounds maintenance, grass, tree, shrub and flower diseases and the pesticides used to control them.
- Knowledge of the safety standards and precautions pertaining to the use of tools and equipment related to grounds maintenance.
- Knowledge of the safe use of pesticides and the record keeping involved.
Ability to read and follow written and oral instructions.
- Ability to operate such equipment as hand and power mowers, front-end loaders, tractors, spraying equipment and hand and power tools in a safe and effective manner.
- Ability to continuously perform heavy manual labor, including bending, stooping, reaching and lifting objects up to 100 lbs.
- Knowledge of computer programs.
- Previous experience in snow removal and snow plowing is preferred.
- May have to work overtime hours on an intermittent basis when operational needs arise.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion job expectations for all Le Moyne College employees:
- Demonstrates commitment to promoting a more diverse, inclusive and equitable work environment by supporting the diversity, equity, and inclusion goals of the employee’s unit.
- Regularly participates in professional development opportunities to become more aware of DEI issues and to consider ways in which their work can be expanded to honor and incorporate the diversity of our community.
- Works to neutralize institutional bias by analyzing the policies and procedures of their unit and making suggestions to remove barriers for historically underserved people.
- Promotes open communication across Le Moyne’s community in order to create an inclusive environment, and understanding of others backgrounds, ideas, and perspectives.
Le Moyne Benefits
403(b) Retirement contribution- (9.5% Employer match)
Generous tuition coverage
Health insurance options- (Medical, Dental, Vision, Flexible Spending Accounts)
Health Savings Accounts- (Partially Employer funded)
Basic Life & AD&D Insurance- (Employer paid)
Short and Long Term Disability Insurance (Employer paid)
Supplemental Life & AD&D Insurance
Voluntary benefits- (Legal, Critical Illness, Hospital Indemnity, Accident Insurance, Pet Insurance etc.)
12 paid holidays (In addition to paid time off the week between Christmas and New Years)
Generous time off package
40 hour work week
Equal Employment Opportunity
Le Moyne College is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, citizenship & immigration or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Le Moyne makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.
To apply for this position please go to https://lemoyne.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=170617 and click the ‘Apply Now’ button and submit the required materials for consideration:
* Cover letter outlining your interest in the position
* Current resume
* Contact information for 3 professional references
To apply for this job please visit lemoyne.interviewexchange.com.