Website John Carroll University
Posting Number: AS745P
Guided by the University’s mission, vision, core values and strategic plan, and the University Police Department’s (JCUPD) mission and values, the primary function of the JCUPD is to provide for the safety, security, and well-being of John Carroll University (JCU) students, staff and faculty, and the broader JCU Community. The foremost responsibility of the Police Officer is to provide response, services and expertise in support of these functions.
The nature of the Police Officer’s position requires that they, in normal daily functioning, act independently in regard to decision-making, given general direction and guidance from the JCUPD Mission, and the University Mission and Learning Goals. More specific direction and guidance is provided by JCUPD Operations Manual, and the shift Corporal and Sergeant. The Police Officer will interact with both internal constituents (students, faculty, staff and contractors) as well as external constituents (parents, neighbors, merchants, governmental agencies and others). These interactions may have significant implications for the operation of the Department, the Division and the University.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Uphold and enforce the laws and ordinances of the United States, the State of Ohio, and the City of University Heights, and the policies of John Carroll University.
• Respond to emergencies; which may include criminal, medical, fire, and other emergencies on campus or affecting the JCU community.
• Investigate crimes, student conduct violations, Title IX violations and other matters as directed, in an equitable and non-judgmental manner, utilizing a fair and impartial process for all parties.
• Produce reports which are clear, concise, complete, and correct.
• Conduct proactive campus patrol, employing a community policing approach. This includes engagement with members of campus constituencies by positive interactions and an active, high-visibility presence.
• Address suspicious activity in an unbiased and safe manner.
• Ensure the physical security of JCU property. Identify potential hazards, and act to remedy them.
• Provide support to campus activities in planning and execution of event security, parking and transportation.
• Enforce campus parking and traffic rules.
• Ensure the smooth operation of the gate attendant, shuttle and JCUMES functions, providing guidance and support as needed.
• Provide services to the campus community, such as lost and found, room lockout, vehicle jumpstarts/lock-outs, fingerprinting, after hours physical plant troubleshooting, and other services as appropriate.
• Assist with CCTV and alarm monitoring as needed.
• Current, valid certification by the Ohio Peace Officer Training Council as a sworn peace officer.
• Must be legally qualified to own and carry a firearm in the State of Ohio.
• Must not have been convicted in a court of law of crimes of violence, or any other offense which has as an element “the use or attempted use of any physical force or threatened use of a deadly weapon towards those persons that are generally covered by those statutes as related to family members.”
• Must possess a valid Ohio driver’s license and a good driving record. A “good driving record” is defined as having no more than two (2) two-point moving violations or their equivalent within the preceding three (3) years, and no convictions for six-point moving violations and/or felony traffic violations, or their equivalent, within the previous five years.
• Must be able to pass an extensive background investigation, drug screen and psychological testing.
• Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills and effectiveness in written and oral communication.
• Strong customer service skills and an ability to respond to others with tact and diplomacy.
• Ability to understand and work effectively in a diverse, multi-cultural university environment.
• Ability to demonstrate firearms proficiency through annual requalification and other training.
• Ability to cope with and diffuse situations involving angry or difficult people, and react appropriately (within legal and policy limits) in stressful or dangerous situations.
• Interest in understanding and supporting John Carroll’s mission to inspire individuals to excel in learning, leadership, and service in the region and in the world.
• Work experience as a police officer.
• Work experience where decision-making, problem resolution and de-escalation of difficult situations are needed.
• An Associate degree or college-level coursework.
Normal Working Hours and Conditions:
Physical Requirements :
Ability to run, walk, stand, or sit for extended or intermittent periods of time. Ability to withstand extremes of climate exposure and exposure to health and safety hazards. Ability to demonstrate strength, endurance and flexibility wearing job-related equipment weighing up to 25 lbs. while lifting, pulling, pushing, walking, climbing stairs or running as needed. Ability to physically restrain, detain or arrest where physical force is necessary and appropriate. Sufficient manual dexterity to operate job-related equipment such as radios, telephones, firearms, handcuffs, cameras, etc. Ability to operate job-related equipment, including a motor vehicle, while performing multiple tasks such as radio operations, observation, and note taking.
About John Carroll University:
John Carroll University is a private, coeducational, Jesuit Catholic university, founded in 1886, dedicated to developing people with the knowledge and character to lead and to serve. The University is located in University Heights, Ohio, an attractive residential suburb 10 miles east of downtown Cleveland. Academically, the University consists of the College of Arts and Sciences and the Boler College of Business, which both include graduate programs. The University offers 39 Academic Programs in the arts, social sciences, natural sciences, and business at the undergraduate level, and in select areas at the master’s level.The University enrolls approximately 2,500 undergraduate students and 500 graduate students and has a student-to-faculty ratio of 14:1. John Carroll University is one of 27 Jesuit universities in the United States and has been listed in U.S. News & World Report magazine’s top 10 rankings of Midwest regional universities for more than 30 consecutive years.
John Carroll University is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer. The University is committed to diversity in the workplace and strongly encourages applications from women and minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/5000752
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
To apply for this job please visit apptrkr.com.