Website John Carroll University
Library Special Collections Associate
Posting Number: AS742P
JCU is seeking applicants for a part-time Special Collections Associate to help build and expand access to Grasselli Library’s Special Collections. Working collaboratively with library faculty & staff, the Special Collections Associate will contribute to Grasselli Library and Breen Learning Center’s mission through reference, outreach, and collection maintenance.Reporting to the Head of Collections and Digital Initiatives, the Special Collections Associate will be responsible for properly maintaining the collection and assisting researchers with accessing the materials. This position will serve the needs of the JCU community by raising awareness and by increasing usage of the collection. This is a part-time position.For priority consideration, please apply by Jan 12.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Oversight of the Special Collections, which includes responsibility for creating a welcoming space in the Reading Room and providing access to the materials.
• Cataloging items in the collection.
• Answer reference and research requests pertaining to items in special collections.
• Prepare materials for librarians and teaching faculty to use in the classroom.
• May include supervision of student workers.
• Bachelor’s degree or 1-2 years of experience in an academic library or museum.
• Demonstrated attention to detail
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively.
• Basic knowledge of collection management for special or museum collections.
• Ability to respond to reference questions and research inquiries.
• Basic knowledge of cataloging.
• Interest in understanding and supporting John Carroll University’s mission to inspire individuals to excel in learning, leadership, and service in the region and the world.
• Master’s degree in library and information science, or equivalent.
• Experience working in a special collection or museum.
• Knowledge of or familiarity with preservation standards.
• Experience digitizing materials, especially fragile and unique items.
• Familiarity with Springshare products (e.g. Libguides, LibAnswers).
Normal Working Hours and Conditions:
Physical Requirements :
Primary functions require sufficient physical ability and mobility to work in an office setting; to stand or sit for prolonged periods of time; to occasionally stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, reach, and twist; to lift, carry, push, and/or pull light to moderate amounts of weight; to operate office equipment requiring repetitive hand movement and fine coordination including use of a computer keyboard; to travel to other office locations and to verbally communicate to exchange information.
About John Carroll University:
John Carroll University is a private, coeducational, Jesuit Catholic university, founded in 1886, dedicated to developing people with the knowledge and character to lead and to serve. The University is located in University Heights, Ohio, an attractive residential suburb 10 miles east of downtown Cleveland. Academically, the University consists of the College of Arts and Sciences and the Boler College of Business, which both include graduate programs. The University offers 39 Academic Programs in the arts, social sciences, natural sciences, and business at the undergraduate level, and in select areas at the master’s level.The University enrolls approximately 2,500 undergraduate students and 500 graduate students and has a student-to-faculty ratio of 14:1. John Carroll University is one of 27 Jesuit universities in the United States and has been listed in U.S. News & World Report magazine’s top 10 rankings of Midwest regional universities for more than 30 consecutive years.
John Carroll University is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer. The University is committed to diversity in the workplace and strongly encourages applications from women and minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/4958679
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.