Website Regis University
Assistant Professor – Mathematics
Northwest Denver Campus
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Requested Start Date for this Position:
08/01/2024 – 9 months to go
Northwest Denver Campus
Full-time or Part-time:
The Department of Mathematics at Regis University in Denver, CO invites applications for a tenure-track position in mathematics at the Assistant Professor level, beginning August 1, 2024. This year Regis was designated a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) by the US Department of Education. As such, we are committed to building a diverse faculty in order to better represent our increasingly diverse student body. We welcome applicants with diverse cultural, racial, ethnic, religious, and socioeconomic backgrounds and those with minoritized sexualities and gender identities.
Working at Regis University
As Regis employees, we embrace our Jesuit Catholic values of respect, inclusion and equity, and welcome employees, faculty and students from all faiths and cultures. Together, we perform our duties in alignment with the mission of the University and seek dedicated individuals to contribute to and strengthen that mission and our service to students.
Take a moment to consider our Total Rewards package:
– A generous tuition benefit for employees, spouses, and dependents
– Paid Mission leave to give employees time to volunteer in the community
– Options for flexible work
– Additional time off each year when the University closes for Winter Break
– Medical, dental, and vision insurance
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
We offer a B.S. in mathematics, contribute to Regis’s core curriculum, and serve the mathematical needs of students in programs across the university. The successful candidate must be prepared to teach courses for students in a range of academic programs, including core courses for non-STEM students; introductory statistics courses for business, life sciences, and pre-health students; introductory mathematics courses for students in the physical sciences and computer science; and upper division courses across the undergraduate mathematics curriculum. Specific course assignments will depend on the needs and interests of both the candidate and the department. Our faculty typically teach three courses per semester.
Candidates must be dedicated to excellent undergraduate teaching. It is essential that the new faculty member be prepared to teach a racially, ethnically, socioeconomically, and religiously diverse student population. A record of scholarship and professional engagement is required for tenure, and the new faculty member should be willing to engage undergraduate students in research and other scholarly activity. Service – including academic advising; participating in the academic governance of the department, college, and university; and contributing to the university’s equity and inclusion goals, which includes Regis’ HSI priorities – will be an important aspect of the new faculty member’s workload. Commitment to inclusive teaching is the most essential expectation for this position.
- Ph.D. in mathematics, mathematics education, applied mathematics, statistics, or a related field from a regionally accredited university, or international equivalent. All degree requirements must be completed before August 1, 2024.
- Successful teaching experience as the instructor of record for at least one undergraduate mathematics course.
- Commitment to inclusive pedagogy, justice, diversity, and equity.
- Record of, or potential, for ongoing scholarly productivity.
- Teaching experience that includes responsibility for significant decisions about course design and implementation.
- Commitment to research-informed pedagogical strategies.
- Potential to teach integrative, non-mathematics courses in our core curriculum. Such courses might include first-year writing seminars or integrative core courses around themes of Diversity and Cultural Tradition, Global Environmental Awareness, Justice and the Common Good, or the Search for Meaning.
- Demonstrated success in working productively with students from diverse and historically marginalized communities, and specific goals and plans for continuing this work at Regis.
- Demonstrated success, or clearly articulated plans for, engaging undergraduate students in research
Application Instructions: Full consideration will be given to complete applications received by November 10, 2023. A complete application will include:
- A cover letter that addresses your interest in working with both majors and non-majors at a small undergraduate liberal arts college.
- An updated CV
- A one to five page teaching statement discussing your teaching philosophy and interests
- A one to three page diversity statement discussing your successes and challenges in cultivating an inclusive, equitable, and diverse community through your teaching, mentoring, research, and/or service work, as well as your goals, plans, and priorities for the future.
- A one to three page description (for non-specialists) of research plans, accomplishments, and ideas for engaging with undergraduates.
- Transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate work.
- Three letters of recommendation, at least one of which specifically addresses your demonstrated abilities as an undergraduate teacher and mentor.
Transcripts may be unofficial, although official transcripts will be required if you are tentatively selected for the position. Application materials must be submitted electronically through Regis University Careers. Letters of recommendation should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Candidates considered for in person interviews will be asked to write an essay in response to our university mission statement.
Questions may be directed to our department chair, Dr. Megan Patnott (email@example.com).
The Department of Mathematics is part of Regis College, the traditional undergraduate liberal arts college of Regis University, located just 15 minutes from the vibrant culture of downtown Denver. Regis University is a small institution, with a traditional undergraduate class of around 500 new first-year students each fall. Regis emphasizes its foundation in the liberal arts and sciences as well as its Jesuit, Catholic mission. This mission is seen in action in the care we provide for students and colleagues as whole people, in our commitment to building a more just world, and in our service to the larger community.
Recently designated a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI), Regis University has a student body that has rapidly become very diverse in terms of socioeconomic status, race, and ethnicity. Among the first-year class that began in fall 2022, 42% were eligible for a Pell grant, 46% were first-generation college students, and 58% were students of color, including 31% who identified as Hispanic or Latino/a/e/x.
Regis University is committed to maintaining a humane atmosphere in which the civil rights of every individual are recognized and respected. Regis University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, marital status, veteran status, actual or perceived sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, status with regard to public assistance, disability, or age in providing employment or access to its educational facilities and activities.
$65,000 to $75,000 / annually commensurate with qualifications
Since 1877, Regis University has been using our Jesuit background to provide an education for men and women of all ages and faiths and is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission: A Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. Inspired by St. Ignatius Loyola, the mission of Regis University is to educate men and women of all ages to make a positive impact in a rapidly-changing global society. We encourage our students to seek truth, live purposeful lives, and continually examine and attempt to answer the question: ‘How ought we to live?’ Regis University’s Northwest Campus is the main campus and administrative hub, located in Denver, Colorado. Regis University has three additional campuses in Colorado Springs, Colorado, Thornton, Colorado and the Denver Tech Center, as well as distance learning initiatives.
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency jeid-0eb9f8ea885981429e018c06f3e8ee9a
To apply for this job please visit apptrkr.com.