Forming Leaders in Jesuit Higher Education
The AJCU Leadership Institute (AJCU-LI) is an Ignatian professional development program rooted in Ignatian leadership, pedagogy and spirituality. This year-long formational program (formerly known as the Jesuit Leadership Seminar) features monthly virtual sessions with AJCU leaders and a four-day in-person Summer Institute.
Through the Leadership Institute, participants build a network of peers in leadership positions across the AJCU network; gain a foundation in Jesuit higher education and spirituality; and learn how to apply Ignatian leadership principles to today’s challenges. The program is designed for senior administrators and faculty who are either new to Jesuit higher education or have recently assumed new leadership responsibilities.
Program Components & Schedule
Monthly Virtual Sessions with Leaders in Jesuit Higher Education
Participants gather virtually on the first Tuesday of each month at 12:00 PM ET for sessions on the foundations of Jesuit higher education and their application to leadership decisions and challenges.
- October 3, 2023: Welcome/Orientation and the Life of St. Ignatius of Loyola
- November 7, 2023: History of the Society of Jesus and What It Means for Us Today
- December 5, 2023: Ignatian Spirituality
- January 9, 2024: Ignatian Leadership in Action
- February 6, 2024: Core Characteristics of Jesuit Education and Ignatian Pedagogy
- March 6, 2024: The Global Mission and Network of Jesuit Higher Education
- April 2, 2024: Being a “Catholic and Jesuit” University
- May 7, 2024: Engaging the Challenges Facing Jesuit Higher Education Today
In-Person Summer Institute
Participants gather in person as a capstone experience to the Leadership Institute, with a focus on applying their learning to their institutions; sharing best practices; and developing a network of colleagues and resources in Jesuit higher education.
- Sunday, June 2 – Wednesday, June 5, 2024: Summer Institute at Loyola University Chicago
- Timeline: Nominations for the 2023-24 Cohort (October 2023 – June 2024 programming) were requested by July 7, 2023. Later nominations may be accepted in conversation with Dr. Jeanne Lord, Program Director (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Nominees: Participants must be nominated by their institutions’ presidents or mission officers. Past participants have included provosts, vice presidents, deans, program directors and faculty senate leaders. The Institute welcomes participants from all backgrounds, cultures, faith traditions and beliefs.
- Tuition: Program tuition for the AJCU Leadership Institute is $3,000/participant, covering materials, expenses and accommodations related to the virtual sessions and in-person Summer Institute. Travel to the Summer Institute is not included and should be coordinated between the participant and their institution.
If you are interested in participating in the program, please reach out to your institution’s president and/or chief mission officer.
For more information, please contact Dr Jeanne Lord, Program Director, at email@example.com.