July 16-19, 2024: Loyola University Chicago
Registration for the 2024 Assembly is now open! We invite you to attend the first AJCU Faith, Justice & Reconciliation Assembly: Creation of a Hope-filled Future, an historic gathering to be held at Loyola University Chicago from July 16-19, 2024. This new Assembly is an outgrowth of the Commitment to Justice in Jesuit Higher Education Conference that has convened every 3-4 years since 2000.
The theme for the Assembly, Creation of a Hope-Filled Future, draws from the four Universal Apostolic Preferences of the Society of Jesus.
In its new form, the Assembly will highlight not only the work on justice taking place at our Jesuit institutions, but also engage the work of justice with faith and reconciliation. Another new aspect of the Assembly is the creation of six Commissions: teams of faculty and staff across the AJCU network who have been working together since Spring 2023 on major issues of faith, justice, and reconciliation affecting AJCU institutions. Each Commission will present their work at the Assembly, with time for participant engagement and dialogue. Commission themes are:
- Citizenship and Democracy: Exercising Individual Freedom for the Common Good
- Student Spiritual Growth and Mental Health: Toward a Hope-filled Future
- Prison Education: A Call to Conversion in Our Shared Humanity
- Laudato Sí’: Advancing a Shared Agenda for our Common Home
- Justice and Reconciliation: Addressing the Legacy of Slavery and Oppression by Jesuit Institutions
- The Ignatian Pedagogical Paradigm: Responding to Students and their Hungers